The City of Great Bend issues permits for building, plumbing, electrical and mechanical work, demolition, mobile homes, signs, fences, etc. Permits are issued to licensed contractors and to homeowners performing work in the residence they occupy. Rental and commercial properties require work to be performed by licensed contractors in order to protect the owners and occupants.

Prior to permits being issued applicants need to complete the appropriate permit application (see below) for the work being performed and review the Submittal Requirements (PDF) to ensure all necessary documents have been provided.  Projects such as fences, sheds, accessory structures, new construction, etc. will require a site plan (pdf) to be provided along with the permit application.

Permit fees for new construction are determined by the square footage of the project. Permit fees for building remodels and repairs and mechanical work are determined by the estimated labor and material cost of the project. Plumbing and electrical permit fees are determined by the fixture count of the project. Projects such as fences, demolitions, signs and mobile homes have a flat fee. Projects requiring a plan review will also be charged a plan review fee. See our fee schedule (PDF) or contact our office for more information regarding permit fees.

Once all permits are issued and inspections are completed a Certificate of Occupancy may be issued.

Please contact our office at (620) 793-4106 for questions regarding if a permit is required, building regulations and fees.

**It is also important for applicants to contact Dig Safe by dialing 811 prior to applying for permits or starting work. Dig Safe will indicate placement of utility lines on the property. Utility lines need to be indicated on the plot plan submitted for approval by the Building Inspection’s department.

**Permits for curb cuts, sidewalks and other work done in the public right-of-way are issued through the Engineering Department at (620) 793-4111.

Online Permit Applications:

Permit applications can now be submitted online through the City of Great Bend Citizen Portal.  Submitted applications will be reviewed by our office and we will make contact via the provided email address if further information is needed and to process permit fees.  Some permit applications do allow for payment at time of submission; however, this does not mean that a permit is issued.  Our department will still complete a final review of all submitted permit applications and will issue the official permit.  Applicants can begin work after they have received their official issued permit.

Permit Applications:

      Fillable Applications

If your software is not able to accommodate Fillable Applications please contact our office for PDF versions of the documents listed above.

Inspection Forms:

Current Adopted Codes

The City of Great Bend currently has the following codes adopted:

  • 2018 International Building Code
  • 2018 International Residential Code
  • 2018 International Fire Code
  • 2018 International Existing Building Code
  • 2018 Uniform Plumbing Code
  • 2018 Uniform Mechanical Code
  • 2017 National Electrical Code

To see Building Inspector Burns’ letter regarding the recent code adoption click here.  Inspector Burns also created a presentation addressing the significant changes that will be seen with the recent code adoption.  This presentation is available by clicking here.

Neighborhood Revitalization Plan (NRP)

Neighborhood Revitalization Plan Brochure (PDF)

This program is designed to give property owners the opportunity to receive a tax rebate on the additional property taxes that may be incurred as a result of constructing new buildings or making improvements to existing ones.

If you are building new construction or making improvements on a residential, commercial, or industrial property, the property may be eligible for this tax rebate. In order to qualify the improvements must increase the market value of a residential property by $5,000 and commercial properties by $10,000. Some examples of what may qualify are adding an addition, building a detached garage or shed, finishing a basement, adding a bathroom, etc. Examples of improvements that do not normally qualify are new flooring, new roof, windows and doors, siding, fencing, etc.

Once permits are issued for a project Building Inspections will send the Neighborhood Revitalization Plan and application to the property owner.

Contact Building Inspections for more information regarding the plan and process or contact the Barton County Appraiser's Office, at (620) 793-1821 for more information.