Contractor/Trade Licensing


Building Inspections issues and regulates the licensing and registration of contractors and trades people in the various fields. All contractors are required to be licensed prior to working in the City of Great Bend. Licensure includes maintaining active certificates of insurance and surety bonds. The license types issued by the City of Great Bend are:

  • Class A General Contractor
  • Class B Building Contractor
  • Class C Residential Contractor
  • Class D Roofing Unlimited Contractor
  • Class E Roofing Limited Contractor
  • Class F Limited Contractor (includes sign contractors)
  • Class G Demolition Contractor
  • Class H House Moving Contractor
  • Electrical Contractor
  • Mechanical Contractor
  • Plumbing Contractor

The following license types require applicants to provide proof of a minimum exam score of 75%: Class A General, Class B Building, Class C Residential, Class D Roofing Unlimited, Class E Roofing Limited, Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing, Gasfitting and Water Treating. Accepted exams include those from ICC, Prometric and Block & Associates.

Applicants must also provide proof of general liability insurance with minimum policy limits of $500,000.00 for each occurrence. The certificate of insurance must be on an Acord form with “City of Great Bend” named as the certificate holder. Surety bonds in the amount of $5,000.00 are also required for Class G Demolition Contractors and Class H House Moving Contractors.

**Please note that all contractors performing roofing work are required to hold a State of Kansas Roofer Registration certificate in addition to their City of Great Bend license. Please visit for more information on Roofer Registration.

All licenses are renewed on an annual basis with the license year running from 7/1 to 6/30. 

The City of Great Bend Citizen Portal allows individuals to search for licensed contractors.  This Contractor Search will provide information on currently and previously licensed contractors.

Online License Applications:

New license applications and license renewals can now be submitted online through the City of Great Bend Citizen Portal.  Submitted applications will be reviewed by our office and we will make contact via the provided email address if further information is needed and to process licensing fees.  Some fees can be paid at time of submission; however, this does not mean that a license is issued.  Our department will still complete a final review of all submitted applications and will issue the official license.  

PDF Application Information

Contractor License Application
Insurance Requirements
Trade Licensing Certificate Application (PDF)

Trade Licensing Certificates

In addition to licensure, all trades people, Masters, Journeymen, Apprentices and Helpers are required to hold a certificate prior to working in the City of Great Bend. Master and Journeymen applicants are required to provide proof of a minimum exam score of 75%.

All certificates are renewed on an annual basis with the license year running from 7/1 to 6/30.

Testing Information

For testing information through Prometric please contact our office for a testing application. All applicants taking an exam through Prometrics will be sponsored by the City of Great Bend and we require information regarding education and work history prior to submitting the application.

Contractor and trade testing is also available through the International Code Council (ICC). To schedule an exam visit their website at

Continuing Education

The City of Great Bend requires twelve (12) hours of approved continuing education for plumbing, gas, mechanical and electrical license and trades people. Six (6) hours are to be code book related and the hours shall be submitted at the time of renewal on even license years (i.e. 2016, 2018, 2020, etc.).

Please contact our office at (620) 793-4106 with any questions or for further information regarding licensing.