All emergencies within the City of Great Bend and Barton County should be reported by calling 9-1-1. This number will connect you to 9-1-1 Communications and you can notify authorities of fire, police and medical emergencies. Following the 9-1-1 call being made the 9-1-1 dispatcher will dispatch the appropriate agency to respond based upon the nature of the call.
When calling 9-1-1 be prepared to give the following information:
- Address/location of the emergency
- Type of emergency – fire, police or medical
- For fires, provide the type (house fire, smell of smoke, car, grass fire, etc.)
- Report if there is anyone inside of the building or if the fire is threatening any structures
- Your name, address and phone number where you can be reached if more information is needed
- Do not hang up with 9-1-1 until the dispatcher does.
- If you are unable to make a phone call to 9-1-1 you may now send a text message regarding the nature of the emergency.
In the instance of a fire DO NOT call from inside the burning structure. LEAVE IMMEDIATELY and call from the nearest available phone.